WELCOME TO HISTORIC FORT STOCKTON
This important Indian Wars Fort was active from 1867-1886. It was strategically placed at the life-saving waters of Comanche Springs to protect the San Antonio-to-El Paso mail, freight wagons, cattle drives, and emigrants. The fort was garrisoned by the 9th Cavalry, known as "Buffalo Soldiers". It also provided employment for freighters, laborers and a market for farmers, stockmen, and merchants.
Today the fort is managed by the Fort Stockton Historical Society and is opened to visitors. Four of the original buildings still stand, including three officers quarters and the original Guard House. Two barracks and two kitchens were rebuilt from the original blueprints, and these structures house a fort museum and visitor center.